The new mechanic I would like to see: Weapon tinkering.
Basically, a lot like rigging, it would be a way to use salvaged loot to alter the characteristics of weapons and modules. Maybe improving stats such as boosting shield resistances for an invul field, altering the damage type of ammo etc.
Now the first downside I can see with this is that it would probably create a massive load on the database with each module having potentially 3-5 varients with different stats on depending on how tinkering would work.
As for how it would work in game mechanics, it is of course an obvious extension to the rigging system that ships use. I can see experienced combat pilots sitting there, soldering iron in hand altering a circuit board here, adding a power flow route there, all to improve the effects of their modules.
The thing I quite like about weapon tinkering is that it wouldnt be a 'permanent' change to your ship like rigging - rigging is awkward in a way, in that if you need to repackage the ship, you lose the modifications and so on - if it was applied to modules, it would be possible to simply unfit the module, and give a bit more flexibility in moving around, and perhaps changing your guns out to use on different ships rather than being forced to use that one, and that one only.
Of course I cannot really imagine any downsides to this system on a user level, except perhaps the cost, so there may need to be some balancing issues to see about.
List of Participants:
- CrazyKinux's Musing, EVE Blog Banter #8: Care for a little game of SecWars?
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, Wow, that new thing is so shiny!!!
- I am Keith Nielson, EVE Blog Banter #8 - Return of the Top Gun
- Once More from the Beginning, 8th EVE Blog Banter May 2009 Edition
- A merry life and a short one, EVE Blog Banter #8: In the Year of Our Awesome
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, Planets
- Helicity Boson, Bantering the blog
- Achernar, Unique adventures
- Ecliptic Rift, OOC: EVE Blog Banter 8: Standings and secondary factions
- The New Edener, EVE Blog Banter #8
- Journey to New Eden, Eve Blog Banter #8: What new mechanic should be added to Eve?
- One Man And His Spaceship, Blog Banter 8 - Something new to ponder about
- Life, The Universe and Everything, Blog banter 8: mentorship
- EVE Guru, EBB 8: Yarr! Prepare to be boarded!
- The Ralpha Dogs, Greed Is Good, Greed Works
- Rifter Drifter, Blog Banter 8: Strategic Gunnery
- A Mule in EVE, Expanding EVE
- Letrange's EvE Blog, 8th Blog Banter
- Roc's Ramblings, Blog Banter #8
- The Nude Nerd, Blog Banter #8
- Scop's Log, Blog Banter #8: "We're caught in a tractor beam! It's pulling us in!"
- Speed Fairy, EVE Blog Banter #8: Charisma Tanking
- Industrialist with Teeth, EVE Blog Banter #8: It’s Like Tetris for OCD People
- Diary of a Pod Pilot, EVE blog banter #8: Killing in the name of
- Talk Unfraid, Physical Communications
- Sceadugenca, EVE Blog Banter #8: Fighter-Class Ships and Sqadrons
- Kyle Langdon's Journeys in EVE, 8th Blog Banter
- Into the Unknown, Eve Blog Banter #8: Player Bases
- EVE's Weekend Warrior, EVE Blog Banter #8
- Life in Low Sec, Blog Banter #8: The Exasperation Factor
- Symptom of a Greater Cure, EVE Blog Banter: #8 - Tug Me Away
- EVE Journey, OOC - EVE Blog Banter #8: Marine Leader : “We have secured the ship, Sir!”
- Thoughts from an Accidental Minmatar Revolutionary, All Hands on Deck! We are at War!
- Ripe Lacunae, Into the Great Unknown (Eve Blog Banter 8)
- Mdhi Lihu's EVE Online Blog, 009 - Blog Banter #8
- Break Vol, EVE Blog Banter #8
- Inanity and Doom, EVE Blog Banter #8 - If I Ran The Universe
- Once More from the Beginning, EVE Blog Banter #8: Devil's in the details
- The Flightless Geek, EVE Blog Banter #8