Thursday 30 April 2009

Blog Banter 7 - Expanding My Horizons

Its time for Blog Banter once again. This months question is put forward by Crazykinux himself, and asks: "What 3 things haven't you done in EVE and why? Would you be willing to try one day? Why so? Why not?"


So there we go... in a system with seemingly infinite possibilities such as the principally player-driven world of Eve, there must be hundreds, if not thousands of things that people havent done, because quite simply, theres so much more than can be created.

I love the idea of the online poker systems that Mynxee has written about in the past for instance, and ways of making money that dont revolve around mindlessly plinking away at NPC's for hours on end.

But im not going to write about that thing specifically, or indeed about some of the many other things I've yet to do. My 3 points for this post are as follows:


1) Being a pirate.

I've mentioned it before on here, but I dont have the ruthless streak to jump out randomly at an innocent and want to ruin their day. That doesnt of course mean that I dont like a good fight, but on the other hand, I am always on the back foot, because the people I do fight against (specifically, player pirates) are usually seasoned PVPers themselves, which makes my relative inexperience in combat show.

I love the idea of defending an area of space (see later for more on that) against all and sundry, but dont like the idea of mindless killing for the sake of there being a target in front of you.

Add to the fact that the 'gang vs gang' (i.e. blob warfare) mentality means that its really hard to go out and just have a bit of fun without being utterly outnumbered a lot of the time, makes getting out and actually having a chance to survive much more likely with lots of planning to get into groups - and quite frankly the majority of the time people are available to settle in for an hour or two is usually a bit too late in the day for me most of the time, which also adds to the problems.

So to directly answer the question - no, I dont want to actually do this in the future.

2) Train and fly 'proper' capital ships.

I have a freighter on the account, but I dont class this as a proper capital ship, since is fairly easy to get into. I mean the all of the rank 10-14 type really, really long running skills that old pilots look into doing just because they need something to train.

On my main (Karox) account, I am playing as a jack of all trades, and as a consequence of that, I still have many years of training possibilities in front of me. I honestly dont think that there will be any time I could consider doing capital ships with him.

I have an alt account that is more combat focused, and does the majority of my PVPing. That character may well be trained into capital ships, but again, with several years of non-capital training ahead, I'm unsure if its ever anything I would want to look into.

3) Being part of a corporation that lives in 0.0 space.

This has always been an aim of mine, and it was something I was looking into a lot last year when I was a bit bored and lookign for something new.

Since then, I have returned to my old corporation, we have joined a fledgeling alliance, with grand plans, and it gives us something to work towards to have an aim to live in 0.0.

Now the reality of the situation is that we currently dont have the logistics in place (see potentially capital ships, carriers etc) to maintain a life in 0.0 as it stands, because quite simply, theres times you need to get back to the Highsec markets to buy the stuff to live with, and going through 0.0 entryway gate camps is something I dont want to have to worry about time and time again, so we need jump capable ships which can deposit us to a suitable lowsec entry point, shuttle stuff back and forward, then jump back directly into 0.0.

Out of all of these 3 points, I think this is the most likely I will achieve, simply because its not a personal goal, but one of a group of people, and with a few people working together, its possible to achieve, even if its just basing out of NPC space for the start until we get our feet under the door, and can contest for sovereignty space.

On the plus side, now that we can use blockade runners to run cargo into a system using covert cyno's and Black Ops battleships, thats one more logistics route we can cover, but unfortunately only one or two pilots in the corp can use blackops ships at the moment.


List of participants:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list mate. I have to say, I am already number 1, need to do number 2 and with all the roaming we do, number 3 is kind of there.

Mandrill said...

If the ruthlessness of Piracy doesn't appeal, there are plenty of anti-pirate corps out there who try and keep the low-sec lanes safe for others. It has the benefit of encompassing the thrill of PvP without the need to have any qualms about your target's demise. You also have the advantage when it comes to engaging on gates and stations as the guns will let you off if you're attacking a flashy.

The basic rule of being an anti-pie is this: If its flashy, shoot it.

If you do head down this path, I look forward to facing you in battle. :)

Karox Lominax said...

Im already a member of a fairly focused anti pirate corporation, we just have our roots in industry. We have flown alongside both U'K and EM over the years in anti pirate warfare around the Molden Heath region, and actively participate at the moment.

As I said above, the problem is that a lot of the issue is with getting a corp operation together early in the evening as the majority come on later at night, when in reality its just too late to do much, and going out solo is usually a death wish in the gank-or-be-ganked environement that is modern Molden Heath.

Anonymous said...

Agreed with the pirate thing. I tried a few times, but can't seem to do it either ;).

Tony "EVE's Weekend Warrior" said...

Lots of people want to train for/look towards capital ships.

Interesting, maybe I should train for heavy interdictors ;)

CrazyKinux said...

I think I could apply No.2 to every ship I've flown so far. Never really sat down and took the time to understand what it was I was doing.

You've just given me focus!